Thursday, January 9, 2020

Rolling Your Own

You too can make your own tools....

Making a seal driver is pretty straight forward.  Dig up a piece of stock big enough to find the final part in, layout, machine and done.

Simple, yeah?  Not so fast.

Measure the National 706106 seal, and figure out the driver size I need.  I could order one of these: 


Not cheap enough.


I found some square stock, and cut it down a bit in the little 4x6 horzontal saw...... That got rusty sometime last year!!!  What the heck!  Anyway..  I dropped in a half inch Acme hole (W E Coyote approved vendor), and got it marked up for the lathe.

It's a rectangle... no worries.

Chucked up in the 4 jaw as the 3 jaw has a badly cracked threaded collar for the spindle.  I'm not sure I'd like to catch that if it fails and goes for a trip.  Lots of measuring and tightening, and it's time to bore out the hole to .625" for the slide hammer.
I really don't remember why I needed the pick...


I moved in .300 or so and made it round, then reversed it and made the step and pushed off the flange.  Safety department said I should use the center to support it, and I did.
It amazes me how much swarf hides a part.

Ran out to the truck and drove home the seals.  I'm borrowing the neighbors carport and slab to do this, and it's been one delay after another.  I should be done Thursday.  Tool manufacturing took about 3 hours all told.  I'm not fast.  Lotsa interruptions...


Hey, would you be interested in a tour of this??

My 3 phase power plant.


Well, I got in the house, and my wife was stove up, and was ready for supper.  We had some instant ravioli, but it was nekked.  It needed some sauce.  This stuff tasted great.  Just a quick recipe from a 'net search.   I washed my hands twice, but it may have tasted a bit like WD-40.  I liked it. So did the missus.  (be sure to use enough italian seasoning and garlic, to hide the leftover shop flavors.)


Ingredients

  • 1 pound ground beef (or 1/2 lb ground Italian sausage and 1/2 lb ground beef)
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper , to taste
  • 1 medium onion , chopped
  • 15 ounces tomato sauce
  • 6 ounces tomato paste
  • 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1 Tablespoon dried parsley flakes
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • crushed red pepper flakes , to taste
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves (optional)
  • spaghetti noodles , for serving

Instructions

  • Season ground beef with salt and pepper. 
  • In a large skillet, add the beef and chopped onion and brown.  Drain excess grease. 
  • Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, Italian seasoning, parsley, garlic powder, crushed red pepper, worcestershire, and sugar to the skillet. 
  • Stir well to combine and bring to a boil. Add water and stir well. 
  • Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add chopped basil before serving, if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment