Friday, December 23, 2022

Weary, but not Frizzed

 Got the holes boarded up.  Just.  Ran outta steam about halfway through.  I used to have a granny gear.  When I got too tired to go much farther, I could put it in low range and just plow on through.  I don't have that anymore.  And trying is a sure way to go down for a week.  I found that out earlier this year.

So yesterday, I got the last bit on the north side covered, then went after the south side.  Plumbing for the tub was on that side.  Made some insulation for the pipe coming out of the ground.  Got the siding hole covered, but had dug a hole so I could get under the sill plate.  I didn't want to fill it just to dig it out again, so I got a leaf bag and cut some of that tall grass around the fence.  Filled the bag up and rolled it into the hole.  That'll keep the wind out.  Thought about that plexiglass window on the east side bedroom.  Looked at it, and just as I touched it, it fell out of the frame.  Not the day for a pneumonia hole.  Found some foil backed foam board leftovers and made a window pane.  It worked well last night.

Figured to do the same grass bag insulation with the hose bib out front.  Got that done, when the clouds blew south and the sun beat down.  Very nice and warm, if a bit humid. 

There were multiple rest breaks, but I beat the weather.  After the winterizing was done, I started working on trailer lights for the yard art.  Don't ask why, I just started in and that went quick and easy.  Then, "why not move it to the other side of the yard?  I can finish the wiring over on the flat spot with the sun on me? " THAT just about ended me.  Brother, that little trailer is nose heavy.  But it's moved.  Wind shifted about a quarter after 3.  It got cold quickly.  I had the doors open to air out the place, but that didn't last long at all.  Almost 60 to 32 in a couple hours.  Down here, that's fast.  Up in Lubbock county, that is very slow.  Temp drops of 40 to 50 degrees in an hour are not uncommon up in the panhandle.

 Today, I'm gonna do some house work that's been waiting for a few weeks.  Maybe even make some cookies.  Good baking weather.  

A Christmas Carol

With all that snow on it, it reminded me of my old 1974 Plymouth Fury.  I got all homesick.  I do miss that car.  She was fast and agile.  I learned a lot of good things in her.  Power slides, reverse 180, fishtailing, flat track turns,  J turn... the proper way to float over RR tracks and other lumps in the road.  Very little body roll, handled like a go kart.

360 small block, two barrel carb, 727 Torqueflite trans.  Speed rated police tires, and those little hub caps.  Very neat car.  I have always regretted not fixing it after the accident.  I know how, now.  Such is life.


 

Happy Christmas!

6 comments:

  1. Glad you overall made it out okay STxAR.

    What I would not give for some of the cars of the 60's and 70's now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude, I absolutely hear ya about running out of steam anymore. I tell them young bucks at work that at my age, I only have have one speed left and that is Mosey. I'm also pretty sure my clutch is slipping.
    Merry Christmas to ya and whatever ya do, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been trying to do things today, and I ain't got nothing. I pushed a bit too hard yesterday. So, just resting and idling, hoping to have more energy to work tomorrow.

      Happy Christmas, Phil! You keep warm too. All that ice is crazy. I don't miss that part of north Texas at all.

      Delete
  3. I spent I spent 39 of my first 42 years in the middle of the Texas Panhandle. I've seen the temperature fall off a cliff way too many times. Think Wile E Coyote holding the anvil when the tip of the cliff breaks off beneath him.

    I used to listen to "Rusty Chevrolet" on Dr. Demento many years ago. I miss that radio show.

    Since about two years ago, my get up and go already got up and went. I run about like my old Chevy did when it had a clogged fuel filter. Barely. I hope you recover quickly from over doing yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just idling around today. Washed some dishes, and that has been about it. Whipped. What part of the panhandle? I was born in Plainview, moved to Lubbock county when I was 3 or so... Moved out in May of 1984 till now.

      Delete