Sunday, December 11, 2022

Interference

 I mentioned before the chuck had a tight feel.  It took effort to turn the key to tighten the jaws.  That's shouldn't happen.  All my others are easy to move, so that tells me this one has some issues.

blued

 

I marked the inner and outer part of the scroll plate with blue Sharpie, and tapped it lightly, as if I were installing it.  Turned the chuck body over and tapped it back out.  There is a nice blue line showing where the rub is.  Tomorrow, I'll work on the fit.  I'll have to go to my "ask a friend" card and see what he says is the best way to approach this.  It's not a rocket surgeon's part, but I don't want to make scrap either.

right below the threaded hole


6 comments:

  1. Wow! Super clever way to identify the problem STxAR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TB. I'm sure I read about it somewhere. It worked a treat.

      Delete
  2. Perhaps a job for a little dab of valve grinding compound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably turn down the rough looking area, then try again. Just below the blue is another line, and that is polished. I got a feeling that all of that spigot is too big.

      Delete
  3. A sharpie??? What kind of amateur are you,STxAR???

    You need some proper Blue Dinkum.... ! ;)

    From what I see here... I would agree with Phil. Some creative light abrasives and polishing might get it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bottle of blue and maybe one of red. The brush makes it too thick. AND, have you ever spilled any of that? It's like blood. A tablespoon looks like a gallon... I'd rather use the mammoth sharpie. And blue stacks up on itself. Black seems to pull off the old and put on the new.

      The rub comes from it being in a hole. A spigot in a hole. I think I'm gonna chuck it up in the lathe, and turn down the rough looking part of the spigot and try again with the blue marking. We'll soon see.

      Delete