Saturday, December 10, 2022

Bath Time

Time to clean the chuck.  It was dirty and nasty.  Lots of grit and grease. I pulled down the new ultrasonic cleaner.  Didn't find any Zep505, so I used Dawn dish washing liquid.  A bit of hot water, too.  After pulling them out of the hot water, and wiping them down, I shot some oil on them.


Two uh oh's:

The chuck came out with some stains.  I figure I soaked out some grease or oil, and it took root in the polished part of the chuck.  I can live with stains, but that is some strange stuff.  Weirdness...

Second uh oh was a bit of surprise.

Right along the unmachined circumference, there is a wire edge.

Looks like a hair, but it's as sharp as a razor.

I guess this is one of the reasons you want / need to take these things apart.  You never know how the QA department is getting along at the manufacturer.  That thing would eventually get loose, and might work itself out... or with my luck, into mischief or my finger.

The file just skated off the scroll.  It's hard.  Just like it should be.  I used a diamond hone on it.  

The third uh oh was the middle spigot of the chuck body isn't concentric.  The middle of the scroll binds when you try and reassemble. This explains the tight operation of the chuck.  I will have to fix that too. 

 It's a kit, all the parts are here, it needs work to be a complete tool.  But we knew that....

Or, you can buy one of these from Logan Actuator Company:

No doubt about it's quality at all!

 

😲


4 comments:

  1. Next time try using some Simple Green in that cleaner.
    It does amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have some of that hanging out in the shop. I really like the smell of Zep505, but Simple Green was what I used for years before I found Zep. I just don't like the smell of SG as much. But man, that stuff is amazing. I used to carry it in the truck and a quick squirt on the windshield followed by some nasty bug juice squeegy action at the gas station, and the view was spotless. It eats baked on bug guts with ease.

      Delete
  2. Yikes! I had no idea things like that were so expensive! Good on you for having the skills to fix it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've adopted the word 'spectrum'. The spectrum of prices is less than a $100 to "how likely is P.T. Barnum going to look at you with bated breath"? I ran into that price looking at parts and info the other day. It was jaw dropping. But Bison is a very good brand of tools. I just don't know who would pay that much except Uncle Sugar.

      I can buy a Vertex dividing head for about $600 and a Vertex 5 inch chuck is about $200. That means almost two complete dividing heads from a very reputable company for the price of that Bison chuck.



      Delete