Sunday, April 26, 2020

The way back...

I wandered out to the shop today.  Enforced boredom is not for me.  It's too tough to take.  

I looked for a box that I thought I'd gotten some time in the past.  I am WELL past checking my tools every six months to keep on top of what is where....



These wrenches are about 1/16" thick.  Not a good fit.  As I figure, if the pin was on the inside of the wrench's curve, not the outside of the hook, it would work better for my needs.  So, it's homemade tool time.

Found the piece of hex, into the 3 jaw of the Logan.  Center drill, 1/4 inch pilot, 5/16" final, and it's a fit.  Countersink one end, cause I don't make mistakes....  well.... right.  Time to mark it out.  Into the house, where the QC and layout departments are, piece of glass for a flat spot, sand off the major yuk with 220 grit.  Clean and dry the glass, then time to mark it out.

Looking a bit dry there, cap'n!  Fingerprints?!?!?!?

and a bit dirty / dusty


I really lucked out when I grabbed this height gage off the internet's tool thief warehouse.  It wasn't that expensive.  It has a cal sticker on it.  Due 1995.  So, it's been calibrated once.  Home shop QC department approved!!!



0.125" is easy-peasy.  Set and marked.  Layout die is a blue sharpie.  They seem to build color on color for a good dark blue.  The black sharpie seems to strip off the old color as you go over and over it.  No build up, don't like that.

Okay, I need to draw a center line, on the face of a hex, exactly in the middle of the face.  Hmmmm....

Define the problem: for me that means draw the problem, follow the steps of Dr. Geometry, and then over to Mister Trig's office, then back through Arnold Rubin's* legacy Algebra and the answer is ...........


0.65"  Set to that and scribe the line.  Did it work?  Better check it twice to make sure.  The 1D-10T check.  And double check.  Looks good.


Tomorrow, back out the shop for center punching, cross hole drilling, deburring, chamfering the hole's other end, and then, trying it out.....



Medical update:  I got tired today, but no real pressure on my head.  No weirdness, other than being a bit unsteady as the day wore on.  So glad I have the next 2 weeks vacation.  Old head is not coming back to plumb as fast as I'd like.  But the math was not a burden, actually, it was quite fun to go back through some old roads.

*My high school was in a hick, podunk, farm community.  My graduation had 52 people.  Arnold Rubin was my algebra teacher.  He wore a tie, and dressed well.  He was a top rated chess player in the panhandle of Texas, and was a no-nonsense kind of guy.  I would NOT be where I am today, without his influence.  Mr. Rubin, I have looked for you for years, and never found you to thank you for your influence.  You made a real difference in my life. THANK YOU! 

2 comments:

  1. I had similar mentors in my "formative" years. One I've written about is "Vegas", my Director of Operations while at Holloman Here and Here. I'd lost track of him and while re-reading those posts recently (too much time on my hands, you know), I got an idea on how to find him. Tried that and bingo! I found his obituary from February this year. Dang it! I also would have liked to tell him thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes sir, that is disappointing. My 5th grade teacher was a mean, tough old bird. At least until I grew up and understood what she did. By the time I found her, I'd missed her by about a year. She really helped me see things better, and she had stories about her brother that I still remember vividly. He lost toes and part of a foot because of frostbite at Bastogne.

      Quite a while back, I decided to contact as many of my mentors as I could and thank them. I wouldn't be where I am today without their investment in my future.

      Thanks for stopping by. Always glad to have visitors to the shop.

      Delete