Thursday, February 27, 2020

Wafting on the breeze

Story time.

John in Philly helped me remember something that I'd misplaced a while back.

Mom and Dad bought a little 5 acre hobby farm when I was 14.  We moved out of town and out into Lubbock county.  There were several out buildings and a 3500 square foot house.  Behind the granary, mixed in with a lot of junk was a yellowing 5 gallon plastic container.  It had something in the bottom, maybe a quarter inch deep.  I popped it open and took a whiff.  Next thing I  know, I'm running full blast, up close to the house.  I don't remember anything between the snort and waking up a 150 feet away running for all I was worth.  I remember the faint odor of ammonia.  I had an Execdrin headache number 200.  I don't think I had any boogers or sinus issues for months after that......potential hospital visit.  I was lucky.  Going back, to put the lid back on, it was very stout.  I held my breath and sealed it up and told dad what was in it.

When I got into chemistry a few years later, I learned to waft.  If you don't know how to waft, you need to learn it.  When attempting to identify an unknown, you gently wave a breeze past the opening towards your face.  That way, you mix a LOT of air with whatever is living in the container.  And you won't wake up wondering how you missed several seconds or days or years....

I was ignorant.  Being ignorant is like having fleas.  It's not wrong or bad to have fleas.  It IS wrong AND bad to keep fleas when you know you have them.  If you are ignorant, learn, and apply that knowledge.  Don't stay ignorant.

Some mistakes will take you out the first time you make them.  So choose your mistakes with much care.



2 comments:

  1. Yeah, the bad thing about it is, you think you would learn after the first time. At 63, can't even count the countless times I've personally done that, again and again. And I had two years of chemistry in college and was told the same thing!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a tough habit to break.

      I've caught myself doing that too. Not just once, but multiples. Life's tough. Tougher if you're dumb. Probably when I'm not a chemist. I'd be a late chemist.

      Delete