Saturday, February 22, 2020

Come about!

Okay, changing tack.  One of the three folks that read this continuing tale of woe and regret, mentioned maybe changing fluids.  So, this is the plan.  Back in the olden days, I read about a wunder-chemical compound called Ed's Red.  You can still find the recipe online.

What makes ER special is the whale oil and acetone.  Modern day whale oil is call ATF (automatic transmission fluid).  It has a small molecule, and coupled with Acetone, it is a very good penetrating oil

So, I will whip some up and soak these recalcitrant micrometers for a day and we'll try again.  

I mean, even the ratchet on the ends are frozen solid.  The Incredibull Hulk twisted these glue clamps micrometers so tight, they may never release.  Then I guess I'll have to make a wall hanging and ebay them to the next sucker  collector.

Ed's Red:

1 part Dexron ATF, GM Spec. D-20265 or later.

1 part Kerosene - deodorized, K1

1 part Aliphatic Mineral Spirits

* I consider these next three optional*  I never added them to my recipe, and it cleaned many a fouled tube of spin imparting metal.  Acetone likes to evaporate, and a poorly closed bottle will loose it quickly.  I used the plastic jugs the ATF came in to store my recipe, and Acetone will zip through those, lid or no lid.  Wash your hands with Dawn, wait, that should be Palmolive...

* CAS #64741-49-9, or substitute "Stoddard Solvent", CAS #8052-41-3, or equivalent.

* 1 part Acetone, CAS #67-64-1.

* (Optional 1 lb. of Lanolin, Anhydrous, USP per gallon, or OK to substitute Lanolin, Modified, Topical Lubricant, from the drug store)

When I needed some super penetrant, I used ATF and Acetone, in a squirt oiler.  It usually is acetone-less in a week or so.

So time to get it together and find a suitable container.

Pictures later.  Sorry.

6 comments:

  1. And a single drop of Godzilla urine.
    Only half kidding, I was changing an oil sensor on one of our cars and I swear the sealant in the spec sheet was only available in Tokyo.
    After some internet sleuthing I found the equivalent and finished the job. I also changed she sensor's mate on the other side of the engine.
    Harbor Freight sells a 2.5 liter ultrasonic cleaner for around eighty dollars, if you catch a sale and a good coupon, it might be worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep an eye on them. I really really want one. Good deal on finding the sealant. I put in some ac tubing once that required some goop. I had to wait a week for it to come from the manufacturer.

      Delete
  2. Years ago, I had some controls on a backhoe frozen by years of neglect. After calling a trusted equipment mechanic, he told me to use water. It worked. He said use water to free the mechanism and apply a little force in each direction until free.

    It worked. After freeing the mechanisms, I could disassemble the components, clean them up, and lubricate them before assembly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting. I'll spritz some brake clean on it, and give that a shot first.

      Wound up visiting a family member who is in the hospital. Took most of the day.

      Delete
  3. For Eds Red, I use equal parts ATF, kerosene, mineral spirits and acetone. Usually a quart of each, and keep it in a gallon steel acetone can. I haven't tried adding the lanolin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I couldn't figure that. Unless is some kind of super lube. I know it's good for your hands / skin... But never made any other connection for having it in the solution.

      Delete