Friday, June 3, 2022

Of Sourkraut and Plasma Tables

I bought five heads of cabbage the other day to make some sourkraut.  They were less than 8 inches in diameter.  I've never seen them that small in my life, unless they were on the ground.  Did they pull them before they were done growing?  Wasn't enough fertilizer?  I'm at a loss.  They grow those down here during the winter and they are basketball size usually.  Fields of them!  Thankfully these were still whatever per pound, not per piece.  

The Kitchen Magician® really did a good job shredding, then into the Korean Tupperware with some pepper and caraway seeds.  They spent a week fermenting, and I bottled them today for the fridge.  No heat other than disinfecting the jars, rings and lids, so not sealed. Remember, this is five heads of cabbage, not much waste.  Gore blimey.

One gallon and a quart of juice

I checked Amazon and about 20 bucks would buy the same amount, roughly.  So, $7.00 of cabbage, a few cents worth of spices, a little effort and a week of time.  Saved $12.00.  Not too bad.  It did all the work of fermenting without my help.  I already had all the tools, so I didn't count that.  

Not too hard to do.  I used this "recipe".


I didn't have any good carrots, but I will next time...  Which is today BTW.  I have a smaller fermenter, so that's on the list for this afternoon.  

Shop Question:

I did some plasma cuts on one inch hot rolled, and it came out beveled.  I checked the torch head and put in new consumables, and it's trammed in.  Program numbers at the end were 80 psi air, 15 ipm, about 0.1" torch height, 100 Amp.  It's a Hypertherm 1650.  Oh, no air dryer, but it wasn't too humid that day.

From an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch flare in 1 inch material = not okay

I thought it might be related to cutting along the Y axis, so I moved the materiel and cut along the X axis.  Same deal.  There is a pronounced angle to the cut.  I learned about slow speed dross, so I will be ramping up the speed a bit.  But my inexperience as a plasma operator is showing here.  I can make the hardware run, but I'm on the steep curve of making good parts in thick material.  The consumables showed no wear.

Any ideas would be appreciated.  The software uses a lookup table to run the defaults.  I can override any I want or all of them.  Cut speed I can change on the fly.  To those whose finger nails are dirtier than mine, what think ye?

Oh crap...  I gotta smoke the bacon.  CRS syndrome is a cast iron b....



8 comments:

  1. I don't know much about plasma cutting, but from a conversation I had with someone in the past, thicker cuts present unique, unwanted problems . The same person told me they always went to oxy/acetylene when it was over 1/2 inch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly what I'm finding out!!! Thanks for the quick reply! Per the Hypertherm website, they recommend air up to 1/2", Oxygen to an 1", then Nitrogen and / or mixes up to 3". This unit is rated to 1.5" But will do thicker if you take it easy.

      It would be cool to have multiple heads on this thing. I'm looking into a drag type engraver. Not sure if or when.

      Delete
  2. The sauerkraut looks good STxAR. How sour is it? I tend to like mine very sour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was about grocery store strength 4 days ago. It's stout. And with the pepper in it, leaves a bit of heat like an afterglow. By far the best I've done. Which is saying very little, actually. Come on over and try some!

      Delete
  3. Sounds delicious STxAR. I do like stout sauerkraut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. Mom made mustard pickles when I was a teenangster. They would clean out the passages. She didn't have much of a recipe for them, and when she passed, we hated to open a jar, as they were irreplaceable. Then, a couple years ago, I remembered she was really into quick and easy. So I blasted 2 tbsp of yellow mustard into each canning jar and it's perfect. Tastes like home.... And the lump in my throat and tears were from the memories, honest injun.

      Delete
  4. Is the kraut ready to go yet STxAR!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Glenn! Yes it is. I bottled it up and put it in the fridge. I decided to keep it alive. The second batch has distinct hints of kimchi. I used an asian red pepper powder in it. Got some heat like the other one, just a different flavor. Pics coming...

      Delete