Thursday, January 14, 2021

Proof of Concept

 Had a quick job to do today.  Had to check and see if this was worth doing or not.

Small gear, Boston 20 tooth.  Needed a 'reducer' to fit a half inch shaft.  There are two stop collars that are half inch so a quick sleeve would make this work RIGHT NOW.  This was spec'd wrong.  It has a 0.75" hole for a 0.5" shaft. 

So, here it is, pressed in the middle and ready for install.


The neat part: this doesn't rotate.  It is used as a stop.  Very interesting design.

Any way, This week has blown by, and left me in the dust.  My plan to post a million times this year is now behind schedule.  

Library Additions

 

I spent a few minutes visiting with my mentor this week.  He gave me treasure....

Editions 1,2,3,4,6,7

I love books.  I like the way they smell.  I like the way they feel.  Their weight says value.  And I LOVE the information that they hold.  They are there, rain or shine.  Ready to give what they hold by candle light, in an afternoon porch swing or any place you have light enough to read.  I have had the most wonderful trips, met the most amazing people, and have actually understood the mind of the long gone author by reading books.  I know it's old fashioned, but a library is a good thing.  And the way our betters are cutting people out of the loop, it won't surprise me in the least if our access to knowledge is curtailed... for some 'sin' we may or may not have done.
 
Looking at a website that has a scanned copy just isn't the same as knowing that I am holding a cherished tool.  Maybe it helped make the Jenny of WW1, or the P-47 or P-38 in WW2.  Did they use it to manufacture the iron lung that kept folks alive in the 50's?  You just never know where they come from, or what their owners did.  Yeah, I'm a bit mystic about historical objects, but I have a pretty active imagination.  
 
Hey, quick, what does a lathe apron look like?  You know, a cut away diagram.
 
Created with a pencil, a ruler, and a hunk of rubber... among other things

 
Hey, have you ever seen the drill press the Keith Fenner has?

How cool is that?

Thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. Once again, STxAR, you use words I understand about 10% of. Very cool thought.

    I am great believer in personal libraries for the same reasons. Having a book I can hold and reference, sometimes even remembering the page a passage is on, is far and away better (to me anyway) than a computer screen or something I saw in a library once. Plus, physical books (unlike electronic ones) are not subject to the vagaries of being deleted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I'll have to check my grammar. Sorry. send me a note where I run off and leave you. I'll do better!! ;)

      Personal libraries are part of the luxury of being civilized. Hard to carry a library on your back, or in a saddle bag...

      Delete
    2. No no, your words are correct. It is just a subject I literally know nothing about.

      Delete
    3. Cool. I was afraid I was babbling gibberish. I'll take a pic that shows it installed. It should make more sense.
      Picture > 1000 words...

      Delete
  2. Are you accepting apprentices, STxAR? If so I would like to apply. I have already accumulated some skill sets you may find useful: I can operate machines like the mop, the pail, the broom, and the drill press (provided it’s not turned on).

    In my next life I am going to be a machinist....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am. I only have a few simple tests....
      Pronounce the two words differently: about and a boot.
      Match these words to the one with similiar pronunciation: root hoot route rout..... Joking!!!!!

      I've seen your knife skills, you are way past me. I made a thick washer.... and it took about an hour to get it right... next ones will be quicker.

      Delete