Monday, January 9, 2023

Rat Killing

 Got a chance to help out a new college student.  My niece is starting school next week.   It worked pretty oka except for a hesitation during shifting from 2nd to 3rd.  It's an older Lancer.  Then it quit on her last week.

 It quit going forward.  Wonder why?  I tried it and it felt like limp mode in reverse.  Very harsh shift.  And a gray flash from under the passenger seat to the dash....  rodents.  Great.

I pulled a P0705 code out of the OBDII port and did the study.  Probably was a gear position switch.  On top of the transaxle and under the battery.  Nice....

grimy.  took a bit of work to get the arm off it, too.

So, I removed the switch, it's shaped like a piece of pie .  It was stuck down on the rusty "bolt" in the middle there.  But it finally gave up.  I wanted to quit right then, but you have to be thorough.  And I saw Ricky Rat run under the dash...  So I rested for about 15 minutes and then went back to work.

While I was checking out connectivity between the plug that goes on the left above, and the connector under the dash I found this modification:

wunderbar  😑  it's been gnawed up and is that POOOP on the carpet????

 

I didn't have my heat gun with me, and I needed some spare wire, too.  And the switch.  "Ah'll be bach."  I told my sister about the gray ghost, and she said she'd work on it.

20 minutes later I get this picture:

That was fast!

I ordered a new switch, and it showed up on Saturday.  Two days early.  Replaced without effort today.  Got a new heat gun yesterday and fixed the rat rod mod after the switch replacement.  And it's a runner!  

Niece drove around the block with it.  No shift issues either.  God is good.  And her smile lit up the day!!

I'm bushed.... good night ladies!




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Quite the compliment from the master mechanix himself! Thanks Phil!!

      Delete
  2. Man, that looks like a mess STxAR. You continue to amaze me with your ability to repair things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those messes take time, concentration and a fair bit of frustration. Rat Fink gnawed off two wires perilously close to the connector body. I had to be a bit creative with the butt connectors to have enough wire to connect to. What surprised me, my niece stayed out there the whole 2 hours plus while I was working on it. She helped when I needed it. I was shocked she did that.

      Sis said she passed out after I left, she was worn out. Shortly after I got home I had to play ambulance driver, then unload the tools after I got back from that. Then trash duty / KP for pickup today. I wonder how she is gonna do on her own...

      Delete