Saturday, August 20, 2022

Quirks

 I have a weird quirk.  If you tell me you need something.  The request goes into an alarm system in my head.  When I see it, I'll usually remember, "hey, who wanted that?"  If it's in my 20% cost of new bracket, I'll get it and hold on to it till I remember who wanted it.

Glen was figuring on needing a steam powered moped.  I piped up about a gasifier.  Did you know there are sho'nuf government documents showing how to make one?


 

Here's the pdf

They're all over.  Check them out.

Then I remembered the Stanley Steamer.  My old physics professor told me a story.  Seems Dr. Sanders' dad made a bet back in the late 20's.  If he could hold the throttle open on a Stanley for I think 90 seconds and not chicken out, he could have the car.  At 60 seconds, he hit some ungodly speed and watched the hard, solid rubber tires slinging proud of the tops of the rims.  He pulled it back and lost the bet.  Stanley held the land speed record of 126 mph in 1906!! Same guy almost hit 140 in 1907!!

The bore and stroke of the Stanley steam engine was small.  It was direct coupled to the axle so no transmission losses.  It's double acting so a two cylinder has the same energy pulse as a V8, 4 per rev. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Okay, then, while I'm waiting on my jeans to finish washing, I read about the Tesla steam turbine.  There is even a model of one you can make.  Popular Mechanics, Sept 1965, pp188-192.   You did know that archive.org has Popular Mechanics magazine right?

200 HP for a two foot square turbine at 125 psi steam pressure.  Impressive.  To dial down the 16000 RPM, I wonder if a cyclo speed reduction could work?  Man that is fast on the input side......  So, a 4 pole generator runs at 1800 rpm....   16000/1800=1:8.8  To low for a cyclo.... hmmmm.......



4 comments:

  1. It's an interesting thought experiment. Yannow... I look at all this environmentalism going on and wonder what we really get out of it. The local landfill is now run by the SS... so now everywhere you go in the countryside round the city... there are places where people just pull up in the middle of the night and dump their garbage. Those people buying electric cars might want to look into what happens when it is time to change the battery. In Fwance they are landfilling the cars because writing off the electric car is cheaper than replacing the battery on it. The mind boggles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that Fwench EV idiocy too. They are burying the windmill blades in the US. We will run out of room eventually. This climate stuff is a religion. The high priest used to be Al Gore, the wooden hooman. They are running on faith and ignoring reality. That never ends well.

      We don't have a dump here. We store it up for three months and get a heavy trash pickup. They were weeks behind this month. It was too funny. The city will poke you in the eye if you start stacking limbs and such a day early. But it's no problem if the contractor is two weeks late. Se la vie.

      I will probably have a little crane for the pickup by the next one. I'll be running around getting wood if there is any left by then. I figure we'll be burning the furniture before 2025.

      Delete
    2. STxAR, we have regular "garbage pickup" but occasionally get the same sort of "big stuff dump day". Which reminds me, I need to clean the garage...

      Delete
    3. I will probably require you to send me pictures of any metallic objects you plan to discard. Just in case I need to buy them from you... ;)

      Delete