Saturday, July 2, 2022

Sticky Wicket

I mounted the KA5 beside the KA1 I was using for the NO contacts.  No joy.  Then I had a bright idea!  Don't rely on the cam for both, stack them!  Wohooo!!!  And..... I failed again....   The KA5 was not the panacea I figured it was.  Folly. I wired it so I can manually turn off the VFD.  Or maybe I should just put another 30mm hole in it for an off switch.  Grrrrrr......

Dug into the catalog, and there it is, big as Dallas.  It looks like the K85 is gonna be the fix.  Push on, Push off.  Ugh....  I don't know that I want to play that game anymore....

Side note, the 15 ohm braking resistor made it here post haste!  It looks good, measures at 15 ohms and says it's rated at the nominal 1000 Watts disapation.    Here's hoping that the 20 cents on the dollar I paid for it will prove a good investment.

And I lost my ever loving mind again....

I've been looking for parts for that Atlas drill press.... Hey whats that????


 


I guess we'll look at it when I get it...  I'll be eating peanut butter and crackers for the rest of July....  😕

7 comments:

  1. So... what kind of jobs would you use a machine like that for, STxAR? I've never seen a drill press where the deck moves instead of the bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's used to cut minuscule holes. Teeny tiny ones.

      To cut any material you have to know how many surface feet per minute to cut. There are rules of thumb for each material, like 100 sfm for mild steel. So you run the formula to get the proper speed for the diameter of your drill. You've seen those number bit sets? 1 - 80? When you get to the very small sizes, you gotta be smoking on the rpm for them to cut right. S.F.M. = 0.2618 x Drill Diameter x R.P.M or RPM = SFM / DD X 0.2618. For a #60 drill thats RPM = 100 / 0.04 X 0.2618 = 9500 RPM.

      It's called a sensitive drill because the feed needs to be sensitive enough to feel when it's having trouble, so you can stop feeding before it breaks. I've never used one before, so this is part of the education / tuition. Should be able to drill a hole small enough to just thread a hair through.

      Delete
  2. Dang buddy, if I'd a know you were looking for one of those Sensitive Drill Presses, I'da give you one if you paid the shipping.
    Electro Mechanico brand with the heavy duty cast iron stand.
    It works but needs some TLC.
    The thing is just taking up space. I even have some Snap On teeny tiny drill bits for it and a small Chinesium X-Y table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ebay is like a giant impulse isle at a hardware store for me. I have to monitor how much I go there. And digging around for that K85 device and a few parts for the Atlas and that showed up. I wasn't looking, but I got found I reckon. I have a High Speed Hammer one out in the shop that needs some work, so I should be pretty well set. Thanks for the heads up though. If I run into problems with either, I'll be asking if it's still available!!! happy Fourth!

      Delete
  3. I want one!!! I'll take your Hammer one STxAR......

    ReplyDelete