Saturday, July 16, 2022

Merge With Existing Traffic

Starting last week, I began to feel a bit more like getting back into the shop to piddle around on mid-weight stuff.  Then Stewie (Stew Meat aka son's dog) sidelined me for a day or so.

I got out this am and did a bit o' welding with this unit:

 

amazon purchase
Morphon 200 A 220 V MIG / MMA Inverter DC

It was a cheapo from B3Z0S-ville.  Back in February, it looked like my days at the welding shop were over, so I snatched this up to finish a couple little projects. I had to rewire it to DCEN (DC, electrode negative) so it would run flux core wire.  I got the wire from 3BaY.  

It was smooth.  The welds look okay for someone who hasn't done any welding in months.  With the proper polarity, it lays down nicely and doesn't spatter very much at all.  I tried it DCEP (electrode positive) right after it arrived and it was a mini-Vesuvius, all spatter and little bead.  But that was just a function check.  All in all, it's a nice little unit so far.  And they don't have anymore of 'em I guess. 

The project is a chuck tree I started about Christmas of 2019.  I got wheels on it last year as I was healing up from the Klung Fu.   It's supposed to help me get my chucks sorted for the Sheldon and the Clausing.  Yeah, that old Clausing... it has become a shabby storage table.  It's plum embarrassing.  But times, they be a'changing...

Here's the welding on the addition to the tree...

Why, yes, I HAVE done a lot worse than this
 

and the reason for the addition....

Behold the chuck tree

Still need to make a hook for lifting the bigger chucks that puts the lift point over the center of gravity. 

$140 plus tax and shipping or I can just make one
 

I'm only putting the light weight stuff on top, the heavy stuff goes down low.  I may even put tubes over the caster bolts to allow chucks to lay flat.  I keep finding stuff (wait... is that another lathe chuck??!?!?!)  in the shop. I swear they have been reproducing in the dark while I have been down and out.  Why didn't I throw some C notes in there????  Why o' why....  

This is arguably just a storage spot for the crane, I have another assembly I can use on the bed ways with a little judicious milling.  It would be clamped to the bed like a steady rest and the crane fits in it.  I think that makes more sense than this top heavy, Rube Goldberg foot destroyer.

Next project for this little welding box is stake pockets on the F150 Kurtz.  Eventually, I plan to hide the gas fills so that project will need this as well.  The bed is made of 4x4 red iron structural tubing, like a metal building uses.  Perfect for this light weight welding machine.  Eventually, I'd like to make a mini fold down A-frame for the bed of the F150. Like a tiny gin pole truck.  I figure that would be worth doing, just for laughs.  It would help get the spare in and out, too.  (hmmmmm.....)

I figured out a quick way to mount the remote control panel for the VFD.  They make smart phone holders with a 1/4 x 20 thread for use on camera tripods.  That worked perfectly here.  Cost $7 but that gave back an hour of project time to schedule for something else.

Perfect spot for it

The arm is healing up.  But the arm bone (Ulna, I checked) right below the wrist knob is still sore.  I guess that was the pivot point for the neat little sawing action.  Had to have been lots of pressure and I didn't even feel it.  Crazy what the brain chooses to focus on when stuff is happening fast.

 Have a great weekend.  And thanks for stopping by the shop.

PS pictures:

Control Panel with a new sticker....  Ooooo.....  That yucky QCGB plate needs work

VFD contactor control

VFD box and messy wiring

 

More to follow....  like a power supply for the lamps on the stop and power switches.....


 



2 comments:

  1. When did you pickup a Sky /hook? Yu didn't tell me about that!
    Chuck tree looks nice. I have a piece of 3" square tubing here that would make a perfect one. Just have to find a place to put it.... Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The welder was pitching it a year or so ago. I thought I did tell you. I got it cleaned up. The brake is a coiled "spring" made out of 3/16 round. It doesn't work worth a flip, but the gear ratio makes it hold-able. Uses plain old bicycle chain. I cut a hole in the top so i can extend the chain into the column.

      Delete