Thursday, January 27, 2022

New Horizons

Well, I got word today that I've been displaced.  The way it works, you get 90 days to return to work.  If you file the proper paper work every month, you can extend that to 180 days.  That was Sunday.  They looked all over the company to see if anyone needed a wheezing geezer, and no body did.  Working the long term disability stuff now.  I sure am thankful I have that coverage through the company!  

So....  

My welder buddy bought this plasma table back in March.  It sat for months while we had other work going.  I was finishing up a project that just kept getting interrupted.  He was busy, too.  After I finished my little project, and cleared out the area around this thing, I started working on it in earnest.  Figured out that in shipping the gantry moved and stripped a belt.  Found those  ordered  a couple and fixed it quick.  The other axis was jumping and skipping and I thought it probably needed one as well.  So now I have spare for both.  The pc was a lash up.  It looked like a tornado hit a spare parts bin and out came a computer.  No case, just a kloodge of wiring and usb ports..... usb ports were hanging every where.  I left it running back in December, , and it started updating Windows.... And trashed the master boot record.  I could get it to boot on a spare pc at home, but never got the thing to work on the table.  I replaced it with a reconditioned one that will handle the next software upgrade, and it's smooth as silk. Turns out the old pc was glitching when it was moving the gantry and torch unit.  Too much for the old thing to do smoothly.  Got the software licensing moved over to the new owner and found out the maker of the table.  

Not this one, but similar.  Two things not shown are the torch unit and the pc.

A plasma table is really just a computer numerically controlled machine / table.  It has three axis movement.  You can put any kind of cutter on it you want:  plasma torch, oxy-gas torch, water jet, laser, router, engraver, sharpie marker, chalk, whatever.  This one is about 20 years old and has a big plasma torch on it.  I have a tiny 3D printer at home.  But it is exactly the same concept.  My 3D printer is a little thing, the welder's table has a workspace of 60 x 120 inches and can burn thicknesses up to 1.5 inches of steel plate.  Not hobby sized, it's a machine tool.

So.....

What can it do?  It can cut almost anything you can draw in two dimensions.

This gif shows one with a water filled table.  They muffle enhance the sound and keep the fumes down.  My bud's table has a downdraft fan.  It'll pull the vapors down and blow them out of the building.  I still need to vent that outside.  Right now, I just wear a welder's filter mask.

The software is very good.  It monitors the plasma machine and adjusts the torch height to keep it cutting.  It has a sensor to set the work height so you don't have to manually do that.  And it has a wonderful lookup table that automatically adjusts the speed based on material thickness and type.  I am really looking into getting a CO2 laser for it.  As well as an engraver.  It is the biggest table in the county that I know of.  How fortunate that I know how this works and he needs someone to work it.

 I have a lot to learn.  There are some finer points on running one of these that I don't know. But computer aided drafting and industrial electronics are things I've dabbled in for years.  It plays to all my interests and work history.  Too cool.






12 comments:

  1. Very cool that you got that thing going!
    Sorry to hear about the job but glad to hear about the long term. I'm going to find out in the morning whether or not I still have a job...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured I was gonna go long, based on the way I'm healing. It has been super slow.

      Dang it! I'm praying they keep you. This on again off again will wear you right out. Sakes. I sure hope you can sleep on it.

      Delete
  2. STxAR - With Phil, sorry to hear about the job (but grateful for the coverage you have). Hopefully this will allow you to heal and perhaps relieve some stress in your life.

    The plasma table looks super cool (and now I know what one is)! I can see where the fumes and noise could be a problem. On the bright side, hopefully this will be something that allows you to continue to use your experience and knowledge without as much wear and tear on your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks TB! Yeah, sucks to lose my position, but I still have coverage, still am an employee, still have a bit of a future.

      That is my hope to. I figure it's a meal ticket, and time is wasting. And with the new hyperinflation showing up, stuff is worth more than the money it takes to buy it, long term. I sure hope we weather the coming storm.

      Delete
    2. Stuff is worth more. And people that know how to make and run that stuff are more valuable.

      Delete
  3. Figured you were a cutup. Apparently a high tech one, but still a cutup. Hurry up and get well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on the healing part. If you told me dancing naked in the moomlight, throwing chicken legs into a bonfire would help, I'd do it. I think I'm a mid-tech cutup.... or midwit..... not sure which or both.... :D

      Delete
  4. Glad to see you got all of the bugs worked out. Maybe I'll get my parts some day? Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just cut a slanted hole.... The tip was angled, and I didn't catch it. So that one is mine. I'll get yours done this weekend if all goes right. Sorry. The learning curve is curvy.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yup. Getting your head around some of these tools and using them to their full potential is not easy. I find it infuriating when I struggle with them… and the kids just glom onto them like baby ducks taking to water!

    Can you make me a machine gun, STxAR? 😉👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well sir, I read an article about a guy in England that made a serviceable subgun with hand tools. Just to prove that their inane laws were worthless. He wound up in prison. When we go back to a constitutional republic, I'd consider it an honour.

      Heck you have the skill set to do that right now, GF. HAHAHAHHA.... rereading that, I read, "....right now, girl friend." hahahahhaha...... ulp, blarrrrrrk..... sorry, threw up a little bit....

      Delete