Thursday, July 30, 2020

What do you even call that?

I read a post over at BRM, and it started me thinking.  I've been doing something for a while now, that I find immensely enjoyable.  I don't even have a name for it.  Maybe facilitating?   Who knows....  Here's the comment I left over there:

I work for a major shipping company. We have seen our Christmas level volume since the lock down. I was just at a major location 2 days ago, and packages were stacked everywhere. The volume on Monday was overwhelming.

We have a mom and pop hardware store in town, and I hesitate to buy anywhere else. They have a lot of what you need, and can order in if you don't. The truck comes mid week. I know I could probably get it cheaper online, but I haven't yet.

I started "networking" with folks I meet now... An electronics engineer that is on his pension and working as a security guard (terribly underutilized, he is brilliant), a welder that just started a business a few months ago.... I aim to help them find work, keep an eye out for opportunities, as well as learn what I can from them and hopefully reciprocate with valuable knowledge.

I don't know if that even has a title... I'm working to facilitate as much as I can. At this stage of the game, it seems to be what I do best. I find things that others need and hook them up. Case in point: I wound up with a bunch of old western magazines from my dad, and found an author that could use them as background for his writing. I got such a charge from passing those on... it started a new chapter in my life. (no pun intended, but if you want it, it's yours, proof reading not included) I found some equipment that was about to be scrapped and got it to the welder as he needed it to do a project. His margin will be better with free material, and I traded for some welding lessons. 

As the landscape shifts due to societal, microbial, and normal change, being aware of alternatives is important.  How do I add value to my circle of influence?  This has become important to me.

I'm still working to find a way to pass on the skill set I have.   My kin have their own bent, so it has to be outside the family.  And I'm up for it.  We'll see how this plays out.  I'm starting to get excited about the possibilities....  May starve to death, who really knows....

2 comments: