Wednesday, June 3, 2020

I'll need that eventually...

I was fooling around on craigslist a couple years ago.  Looking for a 3 phase motor to replace one that had been rewound to 460/480 only.  (If you need it, let me know!!  We can work out a deal.)  I found this listing for a weird buffer / grinder.  I'd never seen one like it before.  Of course I bought it!  I might need that someday....



Nice!


Red Wing??  What / who is that??  Well ask a dental lab, and they'll know right away.  It is limited to tools about 2 inches in diameter due to the 1/4 hp motor, and single phase.   It works a treat with small tools.


It's as quiet as a whisper in church

 I was getting ready to start reassembly of these glue clamps, when I remembered it out there, all alone in the shop.  I stopped by my local mom and pop hardware store and started looking....  And found these really fine stainless wire wheels.  I bought 2, then lost them in the jungle in the front yard.  Went back, bought 2 more, and found the others walking back into the house......  Really?  I mean, R E A L L Y??????

4  of them, and the little plastic bushing is PERFECT

Okay, I have a lifetime supply now.  No problemo. They even fit on the buffer side of the motor!!  Sweet!  I didn't have to make an arbor for the 3/32" collet on the other side.


Prettied up the spindles.....  Now on to the thimbles....  Hmmmmm..... someone was trying to get these apart, and used a grinder to bark up the ends....  No wonder I had such trouble getting them apart..... 

Thanks Bubba

So much so that I marked up the tightest one.  Well, tough.  I'll have to live with it.  Run the tap through the threads to make sure they are clean and formed right.

The pliers ate right through that sweatshirt I had wrapped around it.  Doh!


 And.....  One spindle won't thread in.  I need to Higbee this thing.

Are those square thread?  Rolled?




And I'll use a needle file in the lathe to do that.  They haven't made my Tormach yet. Because I haven't ordered it!!  Man is this fun or what?!?!?!?  Yeah, it's "or what" all right!!!

4 comments:

  1. That is actually a really cool find.
    Sorry but I did have to laugh in sympathy about dropping the little wheels and then finding them on your way back from buying more. For some reason I can really identify with that.
    I have been on a bit of a quest myself to find a couple of small 1/4 horse motors and am discovering that they are either hard to find or ridiculously expensive.
    I want to put together a small 4 inch disc grinder type unit that I can mount a diamond wheel on for sharpening bits. I have everything but the little motor.
    The search continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I've found some good stuff on craigslist. I haven't look for smallish motors tho.

    Yeah, that was just dumb. I looked at both ends of it, the truck and the house. Somehow, I didn't think to check the path between them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been moving away from powered wire wheels.
    Even the twisted ones shed their wires from time to time to time, and the cheap wheels shed a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always use safety glasses, they are definitely eye stealers. If I 'm using a bigger machine with a wheel, I use glasses and a face shield.

      I have a bigger motor with a scotch brite wheel. It works pretty well for deburring and polishing. I just didn't want to risk losing the parts if they caught.

      Delete