Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Interesting People

I went to town today to get a new SIDA badge...  At the local Intergalactic Airport.  For those blessed individuals who don't know, it is a badge that allows access to certain "off limits" areas of the airport air operations area.   My current job requires me to be there on occasion.  I have to submit to a yearly process of money and time, that gives me just less than 365 days of access.....

Today, was a long wait.  New software, dontcha know.  Nice older gentleman standing there in the sun waiting like I was, to be called for the process.....  We started a conversation, and he mentioned, casually, that he was an astronaut.  Wait, an ASTRONAUT?!?!?!  Those guys are my rock stars!  But I didn't recall his name.  Or his face.  Why doesn't he look familiar??

We had an hour plus discussion on current events, Starcity, MIR, and a whole host of goodness.  I really wanted to quiz him on some details, but mom and dad pounded southern gentleman manners into me, and I listened more than I talked.  He was, after all, a member of the brotherhood of men I respect by default.

Fascinating man.  Treated me like an equal, and listened to my opinions.  I learned a few things today, and really enjoyed the time with him.  I was sad when it ended....  AN ASTRONAUT!!!!!!

Col. Blaha, I'd like to buy you lunch sometime......

Oh, and I found out later, 361 combat missions in Viet Nam. 
And a Test Pilot!!

Definitely not a shoe clerk.

Hebrews 13:2


Mir-22 patch

4 comments:

  1. Very Cool, STxAR! Lucky Dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt like the heavens were smiling on me today. You guys who went there, and did the job, I have the UTMOST respect for. YOU were there when it counted, and I will never forget that. Thank you. And you are 100% spot on, I was the lucky dog today!!!!!

      Delete
  2. Even better the man was a gentleman. Very nice bit of luck you had there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know it! I work for a company that employees ex-mil spec types... Some are nice, some are arrogant sphincters. Almost as if you are breathing their personal air.... this man was humble. He said 'astronaut' like I would say 'electrician'. Just as if it was a common job. I was shudda bought a lotto ticket. But they haven't printed mine yet....

      Delete