Saturday, February 19, 2022

Mods

One of the curses of having a pickup is everyone wants your help moving something.  

One of the curses of having a lathe and / or mill, is people finding out about it.  Welder bud asked me to fix a HF mig welder last year.  He wanted to put a different gun on it, so I made an adapter.  It worked for quite a while, then it didn't.  He  asked me to mod the welder.  I asked for the old parts, "well it wasn't working so I pitched it."  Way past finding now.

Please Be Kind and Rewind (to before you threw away the prototype)


via GIPHY

more below the fold:


So, remeasure the socket, and figure out how to bore it out to fit the standard sized one he wants.

TOOLS 

I was told the other day that I don't bring anything to the table but time and that wasn't worth much.  I got a bit sharp and said I bring over thirty years experience in industrial electronics, computer aided drafting, manufacturing and general work knowledge that would cost the average person $175 / hr.  Care to try again?  [TBI => Δattitude*Δ𝜏] (for various values of TBI)

Part of it is knowing which tools to get and how / when to use them.  I have spent a lot of time reading and learning and asking questions of those who KNOW.  Thank you Spartan-C.  You have been a most patient mentor.  
 
On the table today is the following:  telescoping hole gauge, calipers, micrometer, micrometer stand, optical visor, pen and paper.  Optional is the caffeine induced shaky hand writing.  It's like a makers mark.
 
gun connector: 
Yesweld gun


Sketch the crime scene, just the facts

So, if it's bored on the current center line, it looks like 25 thou needs to come off each side, and that will leave 24 thou wall thickness at the thinnest part.  Not good.
 
If a "thin section" was a picture

 

OR ....

Bore it off-center, and leave the 49 thou thin wall, move the hole for the welding wire guide and call it good.    That's the plan.  

I'll give a few thou for the fit.  Wish I had the OLD ONE SO I COULD DUPLICATE THAT DIAMETER!!!!!  But that would be too easy.  *edit*  I wanted to duplicate the "fit".  
 
Fit: noun, the amount the pointy bit is smaller than the sockety bit.  
 
Gotta squeeze those o-rings just enough to seal the gas pressure, not enough to deform and leak. 
 
This is all about doing the best possible job, to unnecessary tolerances, for no money, near-maximum frustration, and QUALITY education.  How do you know what you can do, if you don't stretch your skills every so often.  Just be sure you wait long enough that you can't remember how you did it before, so it's always a challenge.  

Gratuitous Tool Pic:
 
Telescopic hole gauge in the Micrometer's maw

 

 PS - formatting question.  Do you mind if I do a page break and make you click for more?  I'm trying to save some room on the front page and not have the full roll of toilet paper rolled out.  If it's a pain, say so, if you don't mind, say so.  If you have no opinion, say so.  Thanks in advance.

6 comments:

  1. Page break is fine.
    I like your content. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool MD! thanks for the visit!

      You win the coveted first post prize.... Unfortunately, the prize this month is the same as the last 120 months: a self-supplied sense of personal satisfaction.... But YOU won it fair and square!!

      Delete
  2. Break the pages, it's still just a click away fercryin'outloud.
    LOL!
    Whatever is easiest for you, I'm here to learn and it is worth whatever it takes.
    Thanks for posting it in the first place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one has complained or anything. I'm just experimenting with getting more posts on the front page. Some of the posts are photo heavy, and I don't know if loading is an issue either. So, just curious is all.

      And you are welcome. I'm happy to pass along anything I learn.

      Delete
  3. Go for the break. Phil said it best, it's only a click away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it!

      Delete