Friday, February 18, 2022

Cleaned Up-Chuck

 Personal Update

Turns out the job that I heard about required a relocation about half way across the country.  I'm not able to do that right now, so, it ain't for me.

To all you who prayed for me, I am obliged.  I do appreciate you standing with me.  More folks in the org know I'm looking, so hopefully a remote desk type job will show up.  If not, I got gobs to do around here getting everything in order anyway. 

The Chuck

I finished up the hardware and ran a tap through the back plate holes.  She's clean and ready for another 50 years of work.  I need to clean the jaws, then put them on.  I'm not gonna mount it to the back plate  yet.  I have a boring job that it'll do well at.  It's got to mount to the mill table, so flat is where it's at.
 
Seems my welder buddy bought a cheap HF welder, and wants to try and convert it to normal Miller or Lincoln MIG guns.  So, I have the recepticle and a replacement MIG gun.  Just have to adjust the size a little and it's online. 

All the parts cleaned and ready for reassembly


There was some kind of slurm mcnasty in a few of them, so i chased them
She runs so smooth now
  

I have the part ready to bore out

The only question I have is whether or not there is enough meat on the part to allow me to bore it to size.  THAT is a major question.
 
More below the fold:
 
This is a really nice chuck.  But I have another one to show in the future....  It's REALLY nice.  I don't remember if I have a backing plate for it or not.  I'm leaning to not.  If that's the case, I'll have to get one and show how to mount it.

Well, on with show and tell:

The bottom of the jaws are like a nut broken in three parts.  Take a look at the jaws in order from left to right.
 

 Left jaw, thread at the very top, then middle jaw is down a bit, then the right jaw is lower still.    Not the best way to see it, but there it is.  It's really just a fancy ramp, one of those simple machines we learned about in physics.
 
When you get ready to reinstall the jaws, you need to get the starting thread on the scroll lined up for jaw number one.  In the picture it's too far to the right, but now that you know it's there, back it up, and put in the jaw, rotate the scroll to catch the first thread on the jaw....  The repeat for the next two jaws.


Start of scroll, position 1, jaw 1


On your marks, get set....... SCROLL!!!!

The proof is if they arrive at the middle at the same time.  This time they did!!!
 
perfect!

Now, it's just a simple thing to load the part and get to work....  Sure......

It's so pretty...



8 comments:

  1. Nice!
    BTW, I would be very interested if you could post an in depth show and tell on this HF welder conversion. I have been thinking about doing the same thing.
    I also have a Miller portable 120V unit that supposedly has the capability.
    I'm wondering if the HF electrical plugs will match.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure! The previous 7 months or so was paperwork fiascos, doctor appointments, insurance calls, clown car wrecks, dumpster fires, and flying BS goat roping riots multiple times a day. I was flat wrung out.

      Now that I'm on long term disability, it's slowed down a bit. I plan to post a lot more and detail what and how on the projects I'm working on.

      Thanks for asking. The Titanium welder has a smaller than normal socket for the mig gun. I'm gonna open it up a touch if I have room to. I'll post the measurements and how I go about it. I need to get that done tomorrow if I can. So the post will probably go up late tomorrow or Sunday.

      Delete
  2. Nice job on the chuck cleanup. I know where to send my chucks the next time they need cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the best explanation of fitting the 3 jaws into a scroll chuck that I have ever heard off.
    My usually method is to try, get it wrong, try again, and get it wrong until eventually the laws of random chance fall in my favor.
    By that time I've forgotten why I took the jaws out in the first place.
    I can learn to do better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a young nephew. I imagine that he is looking through this archive to learn to use the equipment. Sometimes that helps me break it down into bite size pieces. Thank you for the compliment!

      I hate rework, and I've done that too. When they get there like a rag tag bunch of misfits, it isn't the chuck's problem, it's mine!!

      Delete
  4. I am certainly impressed STxAR. I always learn something from you.

    Unfortunate about the job, but perhaps now that the seed has been planted (that you are interested in a desk job), something will come of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man. Don't be fooled. I am a bonehead most of the time. I'm telling you the story the way I want to. Thus, it always works out.

      That's my hope to. That the folks I've worked with will remember me. God's got this. I say that to remind myself at times.

      Delete