Sunday, May 24, 2020

To fry or not to fry

John mentioned heating the spindle / thimble combination in hot oil.  That got me to thinking.  I mean, it makes sense.  The amount of stuck nuts, bolts, bearings and shafts that I have personally loosened with a torch is beyond counting.  Even with my shoes off.

So, I decided to pick up one of these guys:

I got the 6.5 litre option.


Yeah, it's cool.  No, it's hot.  I found out that when you turn on the heat, it stays on.  Until you turn it off.  The timer for the ultrasound won't stay on past 30 minutes, but the heat just keeps heating.

So, I will soak these micrometer parts in the heated solution, and we will see how it goes.

I needed some reference material to understand how the micrometers went together.  I found the previously referenced webpage that explained how to adjust them.  But I'm a hands on guy, very visual.  So I spent some coin on these:


I know why doctors practice on cadavers...

Yup, it's threaded.





The Instructables page mentioned that you can crush the tubes if you aren't careful.  I'm a ham hand at times, so having spares is a good thing.  And I can see exactly how they assemble now.

Wish me luck.


5 comments:

  1. I know who I can borrow one from...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's the size cleaner I was looking at and I'm still thinking it over.
    I'd watched a number of videos, and one gent uses plastic containers to hold the various cleaning agents and then puts the container into the water in the cleaner.
    Another gent puts his parts and cleaning solution in ziplock bags of cleaning agents, and then puts that bag into the water.
    That way you don't have to soil 6 liters of solution when cleaning a thimble.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTN7-C72eHA
    Same gent.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeBB-J0fOp4
    Part of his discussion involves using gasoline as a cleaning agent, and I will probably pass on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly check his methods out. I remember you mentioning that before... I think. The few tests I've run so far are encouraging.

      Delete
    2. Somebody with more electronic/electrical skills than I have could probably figure out a thermostat setup for the heat.
      The tiny one I bought for my wife cleans well, and when I read up on jewelry cleaning the directions said NEVER put emeralds in the cleaner.

      Delete