I started working on the small workshop drill press back in June. Needed it for some specialized work.
One of the things I found was the return spring was yuk. I bought some new ones off Amazon. I mean really. It took me too long to figure that out. Instead of a 1/2 inch think truck spring that was on there previously, I ordered some skinny ones that fit it perfectly and work fine.
After that was done, I went to work on the stupid little pointy pins that hold the top slide (compound) on the cross slide. First one wasn't too much work. Second one though.... 1/8 inch drill skated off to the side. I put a tap in the hole. Gripped it with the chuck, and gingerly tightened the clamps down to the angle plate.
That lined it up enough... the letter D drill didn't scrape out the threads. I drilled it down a ways. Then, I went again with the 1/8 inch.
The easy out would pull loose every time I worked it. I finally got the bugger out enough to let me get to it with a small tweak-type screwdriver from the bottom side, where the tapered plug lives.
FINALLY got it worked back enough to remove the compound. I had to push the pin through to the inside to remove it. It was just a couple thousandth's smaller than the threads in the hole. Sakes, what a mess. But it's done.
Now, make some new ones.... clean, oil and assemble. Should have a taper attachment running on the Logan shortly. I'm thinking about using the other compound for a milling attachment. Maybe.
That's the preliminary plan, anyway.
I gotta go to bed, I'm bushed....