Friday, May 27, 2022

Bad Motivator?

 Back when the kids were little, there were times they'd eat like horses and sleep like Rip Van Winkle.  Invariably, there would be a growth spurt.  And they would go back to being the feral kids I remembered.  I just had a whole month of that.  May was / is a time where I didn't have much energy for anything.  I slept some, ate some, but not much else got done.  Here's hoping I was healing more.  Probably just a bad motivator though.  At least, that's what I always figured when I had rough patches like this in the past.

Life update :

1 - Got all my parts for the VFD build.  Just need to finish the install on that.  Every start on that project caused a problem.  So, I fired the parts canon.  Just need to assemble.

2 - Hired a helper to go through and deep clean the house, room by room.  I have sentimental attachments to things, and it's difficult to get past some of those.  Better to have someone else put all that stuff in a spot, so I can go through it and mourn or rejoice or remember.... then dump it, give it away or donate it.  I find I can keep rooms clean and neat, but getting them there is difficult.

3 - Put hinge pins on the Ford so I can close the passenger door without having to lift it up all the time.  That was welcome, but it took a day to recover.  Lots of little movements with some weight hanging off my arms.  Quite tiring.  And, the bushings are due today so I can get the strikers to stop banging away when I drive.

4 - Got the parts for the front fuel tank.  Just waiting for no good reason to fix that up.

5 - Started some sour kraut.  Checked that today.  Needs some more time.

6 - Made some bacon......

Recipe:

1/3 cup kosher or canning salt (no iodine)

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/3 cup real maple surple

1 pork belly

2 one gallon ziplocks

I usually wash it and cut it into fourths for ease of handling.  I dry it off  after rinsing.  Mix the mix and half goes in each bag.  I usually just put it on the meat side and slap another quarter on top.  Into the fridge for three days minimum and flip the bag daily.  After that, freeze 3 and use one.  I like it, so does my sister.  I found a pound of store bought in the freezer the other day and it didn't hold a candle to this simple deal.  Sometimes I add a couple table spoons of coarse black pepper.  Helps to sweeten my personality.

 5.6 lbs of pork belly was over 30 bills this last time.  I may have to start in on the tree rats.

In the raw: 




Ready to cool:


   






Oh baby....


No comments:

Post a Comment