Sunday, December 22, 2019

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men

May to December 2019


Who knew that pain was a motivation killer?  Who knew that medication would eat creativity and leave you weak?  Who knew that little innards hidden in your body make really important stuff that you need to operate correctly?  Sure wasn't me....  But I know now!

It's been a heck of year.  Typing with a brace on my wrist right now.  Hopefully, I'm done with medical issues for a while.  Not a ride I enjoyed, fer sure.

 

New Skills


When I'm immobile, my brain keeps working.  It's frustrating to be chomping at the bit to do something and not be able to.  So, I started learning Fusion 360 a couple weeks ago (low impact) while my hand heals.  I had a semester of AutoCad back in 1989, and a semester of mechanical drafting in 1981. That background makes it fairly easy to glom onto the concepts.  I'm really just learning the program right now.  If you want to cnc, this is a necessity.  I may or may not cnc, and leaning towards not...    however:

I bought a 3D printer last year on Myfordboy's recommendation, and it is a learning experience.  In order to make my own ideas a reality, I have to draw them and then export to the proper file type...  It's an .stl file.  Then the program (Cura) can take that to generate the gcode (cnc directions) for the printer.  Whole new vocabulary.

All my shop projects languished this year.  Not proud of that, but at least I'm alive to complete them in the future.

conFUSION 360


I've wanted an optical center for a couple years, but being the frugal type, I won't spring for one
https://sites.google.com/site/pjoptical/home/centering-microscope

I've been digging around on the net, and saw a neat one flash across the screen.  It was a fuzzy drawing that was being advertised but the website is long gone and I guess their cd of plans is too.

Got out the dividers, and the calculator.  Measure the fuzz best I can, then set up a ratio, then use the factor to solve for the actual dimensions. 

               [A:B = C:D  read that  this way-> A is to B as C is to D]

Came up with a drawing then over to Fusion 360.   Export the .stl file, then over to the old klunker pc running Cura, and save the gcode to the memory stick, then into the printer.  Four prints to get the dimensions correct (105% of measured).  3 hours and a few mins per print.  About 13 hours total over a few days.
                                                     
Proof of concept, why is there a curve on the back??

Now I have a working model, and I can move to steel or aluminum for the finished product....

Oh wait, no lifting.... 

So, I got some laser mirrors off the auction site that we all know and love.  Measured those and worked in a slot to the design.  It goes into the body, so it holds the mirror without adhesive.

I had a little center finder that has a steel plate, and a center punch.... like this only more redneck:
https://picclick.com/Products-Engineering-Corp-On-Mark-Optical-Center-Punch-302877686143.html
Found it!  yeah, it's a beauty.

The optical part was too long to fit in the hole, so I added in a slot with a counter sink to hold it and it's basically a working unit! 

Is that cool or what?



After I get a bit stronger, I'm aiming to make at least one of these for the mill. 

I am truly glad that this year is almost done.  It darn near did me in.  It was a booger, no doubt.


1 comment:

  1. The notice "Problem occurred: We are unable to process your order" is now displayed to Amazon Prime Video users with error code 6085. As a result, you will be unable to view the live video you desire.
    ----------------------
    Amazon Bellen

    ReplyDelete