Saturday, March 20, 2021

Quick tips on marking out

I bought some real marking out dye, red and blue.  Blue in a spray can that lost pressure and put out 20 times too much.  And some red in a bottle.  That seems to get all over me when I use it.

Years ago, I found out that blue Sharpie markers make pretty decent marking out dye.  I bought a box of 10 or so...  I still have a few left.  And 5 years hasn't been kind to them....


I got this all on my hand. I tried some turpentine, and smeared it all over my palm and two fingers.  I found some IPA, isopropal alcohol to you and me, and it cut most of it off.  Oh, hey! I found a cut I didn't know I had!  Noice.

The blue seems to build up when you go over it a few times.  The black seems to strip off what is down already.  I like blue better anyway. 

I have some cutting to do, so here is the kit.


Not shown are the leak-o-matic marker and a Professor Pete approved visor.  

I used the firm joint for a scribe, it's was sitting right there asking to help.

 

Don't fight with the part you are trying to hold.  Especially if you are trying to be accurate.  I didn't and I was.  That Stanley vise was a great score on 'bay.  I was shocked at how cheap I got it.  Paid about the same for the swing jaw and grooved jaw.  Got impatient, so paid a premium.

The profile wasn't tapered, but it didn't like the smooth jaws, so a scrap paper liner firmed up the grip.  I like to use what's handy, and the bit of cloth in the paper helps, it seems.

That green paper used to fill up my tank with gas.  Something changed though.  The gas didn't get better, or bigger.  The tank on my truck didn't get bigger, but the paper doesn't seem to fill it up anymore.  I measure the paper, and it didn't get smaller.  Plus, it still has the same number on it.  I guess it just doesn't pull as much weight as it used to.    Might as well use it for something constructive.  The folks that made it seem to want to take that away from it...

Those marks are within 1/64th of where I wanted them.  And that is good enough.  Now, I need to find a hatchet to cut it, a hammer to fit it and a maybe some self-tapping screws to hold it down....





18 comments:

  1. Prussian bluing has a tendency to migrate.
    I'd often come home from work at the shipyard and have my wife say, "Using bluing today?"
    Then I'd sigh, ask where, and she would clean it off.
    And leaving one of those tubes of Prussian blueing at the bottom of my tool bag was an incredibly bad idea.
    Yep, I felt blue for some time.

    Your statement of "good enough" is very good advice.
    Our contractor neighbor told me, "John. Woodworking doesn't involve micrometers."




    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was just a sharpie marker. I can't imagine what the real McCoy would do to you. You may still have a cyatonic cast... Be careful in the emergency room!!!

      I know what you mean. My framing skills are stoopid slow. I cut too close. I can't help it. It has ever been thus. Ergo, this is the job-by for me. I push to be as accurate as I can, knowing that I'll be trimming off a portion to square it up. I can't help it....

      Delete
  2. Sharpie makes a Super Dooper Giant Extra Humongous version of these.
    It took me a while but I finally found some locally at Office Depot or something like that, in a 3 pack. Red, Blue and Black.
    They work great for marking out bigger pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This thing is about an inch in diameter. King size. It leaked, and ran under the pen. I didn't see it. What a mess... I bought a box online years ago... They didn't age well...

      Delete
  3. Sharpie markers are good for identifying C and F strings on wire strung harps (Red for C, Blue for F).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense. I've seen harps with colored strings. Is that how they do all of them? Does it get on your fingers when you play?

      Delete
  4. Professor Pete's visor is no longer available.... At least not on Amazon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats. It's a good one. 2 lense powers and a flip down magnifier. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein when I snap that bad boy on... Or TA Edison....

      Delete
    2. Do you remember where you bought your Sharpies at? Amazon by chance?

      Delete
    3. Most probably so. It may have been on ebay. I got a box of them. Maybe a dozen? I didn't use them as quickly as I figured, and the ink has eaten through the aluminum and leaked out around the wick.

      They still work, especially on marking up my hands!!

      Delete
    4. Ordered three markers off of Amazon today. Didn't feel like buying a box of 12 or more! Thanks

      Delete
  5. If you aren’t using Blue Dinkum, you ain’t doing it right!😊👍

    I always get leather dye on my hands. Always end up looking like my finger poked through the toilet paper or something...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I had that from some old Form-A-Gasket. It was stuck inside my finger, and I didn't see it. On of my buddy's asked, "what is that?" And I did the Jack Elam proctologist bit from Cannon Ball Run. Just flopped it under his nose... And watched him skedaddle like a crawdad.... Ha! Thanks for the memory Glen! Good stuff.

      https://youtu.be/zEEN4IVbayI

      Delete
    2. Inside my finger??? I'm tired. Stuck where I couldn't see it between my fingers....

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. as far as solvent goes, ya can't beat the house brand of aerosol carb clean from Wallyworld. Less than $2 USD ($5 CDN mahybe). It will do the job. I always have several of them on the shelf. It is a serious VOC though so wear nitrile gloves if you will be holding the parts as you spray. Or, don't wear them when you are trying to wash something off your fingers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll give that a try. I got a couple cases of 3M carb spray the other day. It was 3 bucks a can. I thought that was pretty good. Until now....

      Delete
  8. That's all there is. You have completed the task. We hope this would fix the Google Play Store error number 505. If you don't know what to do, check out the solutions below...........Google Bellen

    ReplyDelete